The GW Center for Injury Prevention and Control seeks to reduce death and disability from injury by promoting existing prevention methods, optimizing trauma care through education and collaboration with the community, and researching human behavior for insights that advance the field of injury prevention.
Raising awareness of aggressive driving via a TikTok social media campaign
- We are excited to announce a new partnership with the DC Department of Transportation's Highway Safety Office involving a traffic injury prevention program that addresses aggressive driving in Washington, DC. See below for more information and stay tuned for this novel programming.
The DC Department of Transportation’s (DDOT) Highway Safety Office has recognized aggressive driving as a significant contributor to traffic crashes, injuries, and fatalities in the District. Between 2017-2021, 19.8% (2,537/12,787) of all traffic injuries involved aggressive driving and 48% (78/161) of all traffic fatalities involved speeding; of the 18,454 crashes attributed to aggressive driving, drivers were mostly male (61.9%) and between the ages of 21-35 (32.5%). Notably, DDOT FY2021 Highway Safety Plan indicated that FY2019 goals were not met as the number of speeding-related fatalities and injuries involving aggressive drivers exceeded target values.
To help the District achieve its goals of reducing fatalities, injuries and related economic losses resulting from traffic crashes on the District’s roadways, programs are needed to address aggressive driving among male youth. Therefore, this application proposes the implementation of a public media campaign using TikTok, a social media platform that is popular with the population subset of interest, to raise awareness of aggressive driving and decrease aggressive driving habits of residents in the District according to self-report.
New webinar "Injuries from Global to Local: A Webinar Series":
- We held the inaugural webinar episode of "Injuries from Global to Local: A Webinar Series" (11/21/2022, noon-1p) from the GW Center for Injury Prevention & Control featuring Jonathan Lowy of Global Action on Gun Violence.
- Please visit our webpage on Education and Outreach for more information and a recording of this webinar episode.
Lancet 3-paper series on road traffic injury treatment and prevention
- Congratulations to Dr. Adnan Hyder for his leadership on the creation of this pivotal work on global road safety!
- Learn more about these publications at The Lancet.
A Data-Driven Approach to Injury Prevention
- We are proud to partner with DataCamp, an online learning platform that specializes in teaching data literacy for all skill levels and roles.
The Center for Injury Prevention and Control
|Dr. Jesús Treviño, MD MBA